Tuesday, March 09, 2010

(Avat)Oscar

Okay, if I were mean, I could write a whole post about the fact that the movie “Avatar” didn’t have its best day at the Oscars. Well, I admit it: I am mean. This post is just about the aforementioned topic…


Yesterday I heard and saw and read various times about the Oscars this year. And I was glad to hear “Avatar” was not such a big success there (three Oscars in minor categories).

First of all, I’m really glad a female director won the Oscar for this category this year. Kathryn Bigelow (I hope I write it right) has more than earned one – and so has her movie which probably was the biggest success at this year’s Academy Awards.

In addition, the result will put the “best movie ever”, as “Avatar” has been dubbed by various magazines and other media sources, in its proper place. It’s a milestone for CGI, but a really big movie (one that deserves the description “best movie ever”) needs more than that. And considering this valid argument,



the story isn’t really anything to write home about. It really isn’t, you get the same kind of story in movies like “Dance with Wolves”, “Pocahontas” and many others. (By the way, just in case you’re not a Smurf fan, the argument is completely correct, that’s the way the Smurf tribe got its only female member.)


And even in movie theatres, “Avatar” seems to be losing it now. Last weekend, German movie goers preferred Tim Burton’s new movie “Alice in Wonderland” to “Avatar”.

No comments: