Friday, December 18, 2015

Movies for Christmas



Okay, so you will have time to yourself during the Christmas season and you don’t want to watch a typical Christmas movie. Here’s a small selection of movies I enjoy watching, during Christmas season and during other times. Let’s have a look at the list, shall we?

“Clue”: I know, this is a love/hate movie. Either you really love it or you really hate it. Personally, I love this one. It has a great story, great actors, great lines - and it’s the only crime story I know with three plausible solutions, too. I love seeing Tim Curry as butler and quite a host of great actors as the guests. It’s also one of the few movies in which I can actually bear seeing Angela Lansbury.

“Despicable Me 2”: I love the second one even a little more than the first one (but if you’ve seen neither, you should definitely watch the first one, too). Brooding Grue is a great character, but he’s even better when seen together with bubbly Lucy. Not to mention he’s a fun dad to watch with his three girls.

“Hot Fuzz”: They say the middle of a trilogy is always weakest, but I like the middle of the Cornetto Trilogy more than beginning (“Shaun of the Dead”) and end (“World’s End”) together. I just love this over-the-top police story.

“Kingsman - The Secret Service”: Agent movie doesn’t have to equal James Bond, you know. Kingsman has all the Britishness of James Bond, but with a lot of interesting characters. IMHO, you just have to love a movie where the instructor training the possible future agents has them jump out of a plane only to tell them afterwards that ‘one of you has no parachute.’ Merlin rules! Plus, in the light of recent movie events, Mark Hamill actually is in this one, too.

“Black Butler”: This one is the real-life movie, not part of the animated series. It changes a couple of things (among them the gender of one main character), but it does keep the basic idea. And no matter whether he’s animated or real, Sebastian remains a devil of a butler.

These are a couple of movies I might watch during Christmas season, if I get around to it. I might also give a few seasons of “Mein Leben & Ich”, a nice TV series, another go.

No comments: