Thursday, January 29, 2009

What I don't really get

Okay, it might really be ‘because I’m a woman’ this time. But what I really don’t get is splatter movies (like “Saw” 1 to 5). What is the point of them?


I was reminded of this question again a few days ago when my colleague at work (21, male) started telling us about the “Saw” movies he’s seen so far. You really should have heard him talk! The only times he’s spoken with more happiness in his voice lately have been when he’s been talking about his girlfriend or his car. He was going into detail, basically, about all the ‘great’ devices Jigsaw uses for his ‘games’. Still, I don’t get it.

I won’t deny I’ve seen some splatter movies when I was a teen (I guess everyone from my generation has). But I didn’t get the real point then, I don’t do so now. I don’t see them as ‘real’ horror movies either.


Horror movies are supposed to scare me, right? While the splattering of guts and blood and grey matter might make me puke, though, it doesn’t really scare me - especially as it always pulls me out of the story. It’s too obvious that’s a movie, after all. Psychological horror might get to me (though not very often, I’ve probably seen too many movie by now), but mere gross out with blood and intestines will not.

I’ve found in the past that most guys (especially between 15 and 25 or so) seem to see those movies as a proof of their fearlessness. Well, it might proof their strong stomach, but fearlessness? They are sitting at home (or in a movie theatre) and watching bad thing happening to other people. And they think it’s great to play such ‘games’ with those who ‘deserve’ it (but don’t we all have our dark secrets?).

But what do Jigsaw’s ‘games’ really prove? That people are able to kill others in order to survive? That some are able to overcome their moral or physical limits? That’s not new, neither of it. In extreme situations people are able to do extreme things. Some fail, others succeed and thus survive.


What is so thrilling about watching those movies? Is it the ‘how much am I able to take before I throw up’ factor? Is it really the blood and guts? (In this case, how about a trip to the closest slaughter house?) Are they as dangerous as all those who play ‘Killerspiele’? After all, they’re also getting a ‘how to do it right’ information from their movies.


I could make it easy for me and just say ‘boys’ (or maybe ‘guys’). But is it that easy? Is it just one of those ‘growing up’ rituals which men have to go through? I really don’t get it...

No comments: