Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Better to light a flamethrower

...than to curse the darkness (and yes, I know, it’s a candle you should light - but a flamethrower has additional uses - sorry, shouldn’t have played “Dawn of War” yesterday). I could also put it like that:


There’s always a light at the end of the tunnel - pray it’s not a train.


Now, such remarks might sound a tad pessimistic to you, but they’re not. The light at the end of a tunnel might be a train - and that would be bad -, but it is not necessarily one. So it fits well with my own way of seeing life: Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.


I’m not exactly the perfect optimist, that’s true. I never was, not even as a kid. But I trust the world - to a certain degree. I know there’s always something good that might come out of it. Sometimes it’s not a lot, sometimes it’s hard to see. And sometimes the bad things coming out of something are far worse than the good things, but still, the good things are always there. If I really were a pessimist, I would say “there’s always something bad in everything good”, but I wouldn’t say that.

Optimism as a such is a bit dangerous, in my point of view. Sure, it’s nice to always see the good sides only, but you have to deal with the bad ones, too.


So, it’s better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness - it’s not just giving you light, it’s also useful in case you find the darkness inhabited by demons and nightmares. Only very few of them have a chance against a good, strong flame.

No comments: