Friday, April 27, 2007

When spring is summer

We're nearing the end of April, a month usually associate with wet weather, a lot of rain and low temperature - at least where I live. Of course, we do sometimes get good days, with warm sun and nice weather. But this year it was more than that.


I won't say I'm not grateful for the good weather, but 30 degrees Celsius (that's about 86 degrees Fahrenheit) just isn't normal for April in southern Germany. On the other side, we haven't had much rain during April (unlike normally) and the farmers aren't very happy. (And I'm not happy with 30 degrees either, I'm not a fan of high temperatures - and in Germany 30 degrees is a high temperature, even in summer.)


A lot of people are saying that this extraordinary spring is a sure sign that the climate is changing - but today I also heard that at the beginning of the 20th century there has been an April just as hot as this one. I think that the climate is indeed changing, but I doubt that one hot spring is the proof for it.

No comments: