Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Proverbs that can be useful

Usually I'm not a huge believer in proverbs, but some of them - especially the one I'll write about here - can be quite useful.


The proverb goes (translated by me):


"God, give me the courage to change the things I can change, the tranquillity to accept the things I can't change and the wisdom to distinguish one from the other."


I first read about this special proverb on a plate somewhere, but actually where I first read it isn't really important. I'm not a religious person as a such, as you might have already gathered from other posts I've written. But the basic idea (change the things I can change, accept the things I can't change and distinguish between them) always appealed to me.

From my past experiences I can tell that a lot of people sometimes put a lot of effort in trying to change things they can't change instead of using their energy to change the things they really could change. I know I did a couple of times in my life.

So by now I have started to take this proverb seriously, even though I sometimes find it hard to follow this advice.

No comments: