Monday, July 16, 2007

Harry Potter 5

Yes, I could have found a wonderful headline for this post. But what's the point in it? I doubt there's a lot of people around who don't know who "Harry Potter" is and are not aware of the new movie. Well, there probably are some, but not many.


Anyway, I went to see the new movie on Saturday (as I work now, I don't have the time to see such a long movie during the week) and I liked it. There's going to be a lot of talking about this movie in the future, I don't doubt that one moment (and unlike Professor Trelawny I actually am sure I can predict this right), but the point is that no movie will ever be liked by everyone. And the more fans a story already has, the more people are going not to like it, that's human nature.


There are changes in the story, naturally. But the changes fit with the main story, even though they change some details.

Nevertheless I was positively surprised at the new characters the last movie brought. Dolores Umbridge was just as dislikeable as I remembered her from the novel (but then, I'm always wary of people who like pink that much...). Bellatrix Lestrange was even more mad than I would have expected (but Mrs. Bonham Carter does a great Bellatrix, that much is for sure). The same goes for Luna Lovegood who appears to be day dreaming, but has an astonishingly fast grasp on what goes on around her.


By now the story surely has left the younger kids far behind. It's suitable for ages 12 and up in Germany and thus the youngest "Harry Potter" fans will have to wait for a couple of years before they'll be allowed to see it.

Everything has gotten pretty dark already - and it won't get any lighter in the future, that much is for sure. When everything started in movie number three, a lot of people complained, but by now they seem to have gotten used to it. It's only logical, after all, as the same goes for the books, too.


My advice for you, if you want it, is to go and see the movie for yourself. You might like or hate it, but to decide on whether of the two it is, you have to watch it yourself.

No comments: